I figured that if it’s good enough for Jamie Oliver and his 15 minute meals, it’s good enough for Miss Friday’s midweek meals. I’m talking about Uncle Ben’s Express Rice; I had a pouch of his Wholegrain Tomato and Basil Rice with Quinoa lurking in the back of my cupboard, which was the inspiration behind tonight’s dinner. Of course I had to pimp it up a little.
I’m a huge fan of short cuts, and I make no bones about it either – especially during the week when time is tight, or for those evenings where you’d rather not be slaving over the hot stove all night. Yes, even I have days like that.
So, using what I could find in my fridge (a few random left over vegetables) and store cupboard (herbs and spices) I created a speedy midweek meal that also happens to be wonderfully healthy. I had some jumbo king prawns to use so I decided to make this delicious spicy rice dish. It reminded me of a jambalaya, now I realise the ingredients are quite different, but you’ll appreciate what I mean from the picture.
- Uncle Ben’s Express Tomato and Basil Wholegrain Rice
- 225g cooked jumbo king prawns
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red pepper, small dice
- 1 red onion, small dice
- 1 courgette, small dice
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- Knorr herb infusion stock pot
- 600g chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp sugar
- ¼ tsp spicy smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp dried chilli flakes
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over a medium heat. Add the chopped vegetables and garlic, cook for about 10 minutes stirring until the vegetables have softened. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Then add the chopped tomatoes, stock pot, and vinegar, allow to cook for a further 2 minutes before adding the sugar, paprika and chilli flakes.
- Meanwhile, heat the rice in the microwave and add it to the pan, mix well to incorporate all of the vegetables.
- Finally, add the jumbo king prawns and simmer for 5 minutes. Serve immediately.